Between work meetings, picking up the kids from school, cooking dinner for the family, and everything else in between, stress can get the best of us. We all need to take a moment to breathe, relax more, and stress less. Here are five ways we’ve found helpful to relieve stress in our lives:
1. Unplug - In today’s society, we are so consumed with technology. From watching TV, to being stuck on our laptops, and attached to the hip with our phones, we often forget what life was without all these gadgets. Make sure to unplug every so often and enjoy a little peace and quiet.
2. Meditate - When you meditate, you clear away the information overload that builds up daily and adds to your stress. It’s easy to learn, can be practiced almost anywhere, and provides a quick way to get your stress levels in check. All you really need is a few minutes and a place to stretch out.
3. Walk it out - The power of walking as a stress-reliever and mood enhancer is often underestimated. Walking is such a simple exercise, one that most people do without thinking. A short, brisk walk can do wonders for shifting your attention away from the day’s challenges and toward appreciating the present moment.
4. Drink Tea - If you're a coffee-guzzler, consider going green. Green tea that is! Coffee raises levels of the notorious stress hormone, cortisol, while green tea offers health and beauty benefits, says Nicholas Perricone, MD, author of 7 Secrets to Beauty, Health, and Longevity. Chamomile tea is a traditional favorite for calming the mind and reducing stress.
5. Laugh - The physical act of laughing releases tension and brings positive physiological changes. Finding ways to work more laughter into your day can be an effective route to stress relief.